SPTF Annual Piano Competition
The SPTF Piano Competition is an annual event and is limited to students of SPTF member teachers.
The Winners of the 2018 SPTF Piano Competition can be found by clicking on the link below and also on the NEWSLETTER page of this website. SPTF congratulates all Participants and Teachers!
For questions contact the Coordinator at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To access the Repertoire List for SPTF Piano Competition, go to the following link which is also listed under Repertoire Requirements:
DATES of 2018 Annual Competition:
Saturday, March 24, 2018 (10:00 am – 5:00 pm)
Sunday, March 25, 2018 (12:00 pm – 5:00 pm)
TIMES MAY BE MODIFIED DEPENDING ON NUMBER OF APPLICANTS
(Assigned dates & times for respective Divisions will be announced February 2018.)
Steinway Piano Gallery, 505 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY
Nov. 30. 2017 Final day to submit New Music for evaluation of repertoire level that is not listed in SPTF competition repertoire list.
Dec. 1, 2017 Online Registration opens.
Jan. 17, 2018 Online Registration closes, and all entry fees are due. Fees are to be mailed to the Treasurer (Fran G.) and postmarked by January 17, 2018 as well.
Feb. 7, 2018 Final day to change a performance piece only by those students whose registered piece is a duplicate.
. IF a music selection is not listed within the Approved Repertoire List, Teachers may submit up to TWO scores per month for division evaluation during the months of July, August, September, October, and November. After November 30, no scores will be accepted for evaluation until July 2018.
- IMPORTANT: The following REQUIRED information for each piece submitted for evaluation must be emailed to email@example.com:
- Full name of composer – Composer first initial AND last name spelled CORRECTLY
- Title of piece spelled CORRECTLY, including opus and mvt. number and key (if it identifies a sonata, prelude, etc.)
- Name of its larger source of composition (such as Children’s Corner for “Doctor Gradus ad parnassum”), spelled CORRECTLY
- Projected duration of performance rounded up to the nearest .5 minute
- *For music in the public domain, please email a direct link to the score on imslp.org or another reputable public online source. Please make sure the link opens to the specific movement. The page numbers for a specific piece in a collection must be indicated.
- For music under copyright, please email a clearly legible scan of the score – 1 single PDF file if it is several pages long. (We cannot handle thumbing through several pdf pages.). Please ‘Rename” your PDF file with composer and title of the piece prior to sending.
- Any scores submitted without the above requirements will not be considered as submitted.
Teachers may include a direct link to a performance of the work if they wish.
The Repertoire Committee will review, comment and vote on submitted repertoire using a designated spreadsheet. The Repertoire Committee Coordinator will review the comments at the end of each month, average the votes, and designate the division accordingly.
The assigned divisions will be emailed to the teachers, who will have 1 week to respond if they would like to receive details governing the committee’s decision, or request that the repertoire be re-evaluated. The Committee will consider individual teachers’ suggested division placements for their submitted repertoire if teachers wish to include them.
Applications will be accepted beginning December 1, 2017.
Teachers (or Parents) must complete the 2018 SPTF Piano Competition Online Application Form (click or right click to save link) no later than January 17, 2018.
Teachers must mail ONE CHECK (payable to “SPTF”) FOR THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF APPLICATION FEES to the SPTF Treasurer. The deadline for receipt is January 17, 2018. Fees are non-refundable.
Upon receipt of all applications and checks, the Competition Committee will assign each applicant a random “student number” which will be used throughout the competition to preserve students’ and teachers’ anonymity.
Repertoire cannot be changed once an application is submitted, except for students whose piece is a duplicate entry. In this case, the teachers will be notified, and the students may change their pieces (if they choose) by February 7, 2018. .